Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Social Media and Job Hunting

When I think of job hunting, I think of job searching engines like Monster and LinkedIn. Facebook however, never crosses my mind. Technology is taking over the world, whether some of us like it or not. I do see job posts on Facebook some times down my newsfeed, but I just scroll past it because it makes me think that it's just another boring add or Spam. In my "Marketing: An Introduction" book it states that "Technological advances are perhaps the most dramatic forces affecting today’s marketing strategies...The technological environment is perhaps the most dramatic force now shaping our destiny. Technology has released such wonders as antibiotics, robotic surgery, miniaturized electronics, laptop computers, and the Internet.", and now, job searching through social media. All of these old companies have to conform and understand the new way of life in order to stay afloat in their industry. And a lot of companies are doing just that. According to the article "Recruiters Troll Facebook for Candidates they like", I thought to myself, "I never want my future or current job to see my personal, social Facebook." When I'm on Facebook, I just want to share videos and clown with my friends. In the article some people said they didn't want that attention either. "Users tell the company (LinkedIn)they want to keep their personal and professional networks separate.", However, job hunting through social media, Facebook, is growing rapidly. Companies that usually use job search engines like LinkedIn, are starting to use Facebook more and more to seek out possible candidates. They are even creating Apps connected to Facebook to grab people. "While VMware still relies on LinkedIn to recruit higher-level executive talent, Mr. Staney said that Facebook users tend to spend more time on the service and are easier to reach than LinkedIn users. Since February, the number of monthly active users on its Facebook page more than tripled to 11,000". I don't really agree with it, but it is true that most people spend much more time of their day on Facebook than anything. it's a great way to reach people and grab people's attention. "Candidates have been 50% more likely to apply to positions they found through Facebook than through other means". Many people may not want to use their current Facebook pages to be linked to future jobs, but they just might make new profiles just for the sole purpose of finding a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment